Pages

Tuesday, December 28, 2010

Congratulations to Nick G.

he has solved the conundrum of the century.

So, I was looking at this and I came to two primary conclusions off the bat:

1: It's not Kim. If you go over the stills, the name is much longer than Kim. It's too wide for the 3-letter surname, so you can eliminate him.

2: Boone Logan is definitely not right handed, so he's out.

But then I looked even more closely and I figured out the flaw in this whole thing and, quite possibly, the answer to our question:

3: We don't know that this is a strikeout.

I went over the clip and we never really see that the ball goes into the mitt, or have any confirmation of a strikeout. We can't assume strikeout. However, we can say with reasonable certainty that this game is being played in Landshark/whatever and that a Marlin is at the plate.

As you said, the best guess at the player at the mound is Darren O'Day. He pitched 4 games as a Met, 2 @Marlins.

And then I looked at the game log for April 10th and I had my eureka moment...

On April 10th, O'Day came into a 4-4 game and faced two batters: Emilio Bonifacio (switch) and Jorge Cantu (right). He walked Bonifacio, and then gave up a walk-off RBI single to Cantu. Not only is that highlight worthy, but in the very next shot Cantu is being approached by teammates looking to celebrate something big, like a walk-off win.

What we can conclude is that the pitch was on the outside corner, about belt high. So I pulled up the brooksbaseball pitch FX data for that AB in question and, well, I think we have our answer:

http://www.brooksbaseball.net/pfxVB/pfx.php?s_type=3&sp_type=1&batterX=85&month=04&day=10&game=gid_2009_04_10_nynmlb_flomlb_1/&year=2009&pitchSel=503285&prevGame=gid_2009_04_10_nynmlb_flomlb_1/

Second pitch, in-play run, belt high, outside corner of the zone (for an RHB).

I think we have our answer. That highlight is a pitch FROM Darren O'Day to Jorge Cantu, which he pulled into left field for a walk-off single.

Great work by Nick. It appears we finally have an answer to the "Marlins Will Soar" question. With a little faith and love, we truly soared today.

No comments:

Post a Comment